“This place was the location selected by Mill Hill Missionaries to start a Theological Major Seminary where seminarians from Jinja Seminary could come and study theology, that was way back in 1930,” Fr. Sserunjogi explained, adding that this went on up to 1967 when the Mill Hill Seminary ceased to exist because the Uganda Episcopal Conference (UEC) decided to establish a system of National Seminaries.
The AMECEA Plenary Assembly of 1967 gave the official approval of the project to establish the Pastoral Institute and Fr Ton Simons, member of the Congregation of Missionaries of Africa, also known as the White Fathers, was appointed as director. The Institute was officially opened on 1 February 1968.
The Mill Hill Seminary premises hosted the Ggaba Pastoral Institute of Eastern Africa as it was called then, from 1967 to 1975 when political instability in the country led to the relocation of the institute to Eldoret Diocese in Kenya, where it is currently situated. Despite the relocation, the Institute has retained the name Ggaba Pastoral Institute.